Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lent 5: The Gradual Eripe me Domine and the Tract Saepe Expugnaverunt

Here is an mp3 of Eripe Me from the ChristusRex.org website, along with the JoguesChant translation:
Rescue me, Lord, from my enemies; teach me to do your will. O Lord, you who save me from the wrath of the nations, you shall cause me to triumph over my assailants; you will save me from the man of evil.
The text for the Gradual is taken from Psalm 143:9-10 and from Psalm 18:48-49.

Here's the chant score:


And here's Saepe Expugnaverunt (mp3) from Jogues, along with their translation and chant score:
Often have they fought against me from my youth. Let Israel now say: Often have they fought against me from my youth. Yet, they have not prevailed against me: my back has become an anvil for the hammering of sinners. They have long oppressed me with their iniquities. But the Lord of justice will break the neck of sinners.

The text for the Tract comes from Psalm 129, verses 1-4, another of the "Songs of Ascents."  Verse 4 is translated "The Lord who is just will cut the necks of sinners" only in the Douay-Rheims version of this Psalm; the King James translates it this way:  "The LORD is righteous: he hath cut asunder the cords of the wicked," as do most other versions.  (The Good News Bible does it this way:  "But the Lord, the righteous one, has freed me from slavery," and some others also follow this line about "freeing slaves.")

Here's a polyphonic version of the two chants together, from Romanus Weichlein (1652-1706):


And here's Josef Rheinberger's Eripe Me; Rheinberger lived from 1839-1902:






ChristusRex.org provides the full complement of propers for today, here sung by the Sao Paulo Benedictines;  note that the Communio again depends on the Gospel for the day.
Hebdomada quinta quadragesimæ  Dominica
Introitus: Ps. 42, 1.2.3 Iudica me, Deus (3m09.1s - 1293 kb) chant score
Graduale: Ps. 142, 9.10. V. Ps. 17, 48.49 Eripe me, Domine (3m49.9s - 1572 kb) chant score
Tractus: Ps. 128, 1-4 Sæpe expugnaverunt (1m50.9s - 759 kb) chant score
Offertorium: Ps. 118, 7.10.17.25 Confitebor tibi, Domine (1m41.8s - 697 kb) chant score
Communio:
                 quando legitur Evangelium de Lazaro:
                 Io. 11, 33.35.43.44.39 Videns Dominus (3m43.2s - 1526 kb)

                 quando legitur Evangelium de muliere adultera:
                 Io. 8, 10.11 Nemo te condemnavit (2m35.9s - 1213 kb)

                 quando legitur aliud Evangelium:
                 Io. 12, 26 Qui mihi ministrat(49.0s - 382 kb)

Here are posts on Chantblog about the other propers:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...